Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Opa!!! Opa!!!

On our week long trip to Florida, we drove for about 1600 miles (yes! My hubby is a voracious driver, I drove only the 10MPH-less than a mile drive thru the Daytona Beach). One signboard we passed quite a few no of times was the direction to "Opa Locka". And that became our catch phrase for the entire trip, it sounds really good wen u say it the "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" style..."Opa!!!"
At the time we saw the movie, we kept on wondering what the word meant, as they went on repeating the word in a really amusing way al thru the movie... And finally when I searched it in the all-powerful Google, it said... "no specific meaning"!!! :D (of course if u dig deeper u can find that there r several meanings to it, but this is the one fairly said almost everywhere...)
Another one I found was the Malay/ Chinese word lah.
Now I was wondering what words are there in our dear Malayalam that has "no specific meaning". Cant say adipoli/ kidu-kidilam belongs to that category as we all have assigned meanings to it! As they say, words in themselves have no meaning, they evolve!
For some of the new-gen words, u can see t-h-i-s (the author of this page says "these words bring out the Mallu in u!!! I wonder how I can call my mommy & pops Mallus now ;)). No I dont know why I am advertising it, but he has got a pretty good collection in there ;)
So guys, till we see again, Opa!!!

5 comments:

Sibi said...

oho... opa

nostringsattached said...

opa!!! i was wondering where i have heard this before...in Ricky Martins song?? ...oopa..Un,Dos, Tres Maria... is it ;)

Roshini said...

Opa!!!
@emptyhead: Ajay, I didn realize u have accepted it (emptyhead) so publicly! :D
And Ricky Martin's song, mmm, didn realize it had an "Opa"!

Abhinav Viswambharan said...

Kollam Opa...

The best part was to go through the link to "Mallu Lingo" in your post. Liked the following one -
"CHARAK - Cool chick".


Bu hu ha ha ha...

Roshini said...

@Abhi... Hehe, that page is really too good ;)